- Description of project:
This project is a pilot to automatically issue an ‘ucsf.edu’ email address and mailbox for new employees so that email is ready upon the new hire's arrival, along with a listing in the Global Directory/Campus Locator System (CLS) and Active Directory connectivity. The goal is to reduce the administrative steps and improve the new hire experience around this critical aspect of employment.
- Domain login, Email address and CLS listing available by 8am on the employee’s first day, based on either the new hire status or the affiliate titles specifically associated with pre-hire (NEWEMP, ACADAP, POSTMD). The format would be email@example.com, with additional numeral added if an address already exists. This is the same format that students already receive. (Note: The CLS listing is being provided by the IT service desk as part of an earlier project to support departments and compliance training.)
- Notification of the new account would be emailed to the supervisor, who would notify the employee on their first day. All new hires should have a supervisor indicated on the new hire HR ticket, backup would be the Business Officer role for the department from the Department Role Table.
- Communication plan within the pilot department.
- Impact on UCSF's mission and/or community:
- This pilot project will eventually allow 2,341 supervisors (minimum) to have new employees be productive upon arrival. Approximately 3,000 new employees per year would avoid the historic delay or issues experienced due to a manual account request system.
- The initial pilot group is the ITS organization, with the design and scalability to support the UCSF enterprise in the future.
- IT, HR, and departmental resources are freed from the email, phone call, and service request back-and-forth communications that are currently required for every account.
- Specific needs for no email or a different domain could be accommodated by submitting a request, which is the same effort required under the current system.
- Having an 'ucsf.edu' email removes the following current issues:
- Movement of individuals between departments/units results in additional email addresses, and confusion.
- Reliance on difficult to support custom software to provide guidance during the manual provisioning of the email account.
- A department or other organizational move by an individual does not affect their assigned email address.
- Much simpler account provisioning logic, leading to faster turnaround times, and more opportunities for automation.
- Moves to an industry standard of an organization having the same email domain.
- Uninterrupted delivery of mail to all legacy addresses
- Consistent use of the ucsf.edu domain will greatly improve the process of integrating with systems that use email as the unique identifier.
Estimated Time Devoted
Vincent Ma, Sr. System Administrator
Active Directory and Exchange Developer
Mukesh Yadav, Identity Mgmt Technical Lead.
Elliot Kendall, IAM Engineer
Susan Sall, Director, HR Service Center A
HR Project Coordinator
Andres Mattes, Identity Management
Mark Day, Deputy Dir of Systems
Kevin Dale, Sr Manager, Identity Management
Kraig Kluba, Virtual Hosting, Exchange, and Active Directory
Jason Lin, Service Now
Brian Auerbach, OB/Gyn
Commenting is closed.